The ultimate impact of the peeling was that the protruding parts where the peeling occurred were mis-shaped and not smooth at all in the final object. The print head eventually re-melted and flatted the problem sections, but not in the way which the part was supposed to be printed. You can see this in the images here too.
|Here's a close up of the final print - those protrusions which had the problems (now shown on the right) were consistently mis-shaped.|
|Original Position - the left protrusions were the ones experiencing peeling|
|For you technical 3D Printers - this is the bottom layer from CURA - in the original rotation position|
Discovery of an IdeaI was using a live video service - Periscope, on twitter (@periscopeco) - to show people this particular print, and someone commented that perhaps it was the position of the object's receptacle parts that was making this worse. I figured it was worth a simple experiment - since I had tried a few other fixes that didn't help.
Experiment - Rotate the ObjectWithout changing the model or the slicing parameters at all, I rotated the part 90 degrees clockwise so that the receptacle which had the worst effect was now not the first part of the print layer. I could tell right away that this small adjustment did have an impact, as the first few layers of printing were clean and flat, and there was no peeling off the bed. In the prior experiment, I had slowed the printing of the bottom layer to 15mm/sec (in advanced settings in CURA) - but that adjustment alone did not help - but I left it like that and did the rotation.
|After 90 degree rotation, the receptacles are now printing smoothly and are shaped as expected in the model design.|
|NEW ROTATION POSITION, with the problem parts now pointing away from me on the print bed.|
|And again for the technical folks, the bottom layer shows hardly any pattern change - just the rotated position.|