|The Bracelet - a view all around.|
There are 3 criteria I had:
1 - Easy to print (reliable, minimal likelihood of printing issues due to the design)
2 - Easy to connect the parts together
3 - Hard to come-apart (or at least hard enough that connected parts don't fall apart unexpectedly)
These are hard criteria to balance, but the design I came up with has so far proven to be adequate for at least a simple application - the bracelet.
I started by printing a Pi Bracelet - wearing it a few days (even though one of my best friends didn't approve) and proved to myself that it would not fall off when I didn't want it to. Then I went into the real test - kids' bracelets. I created a full alphabet and a few special emoji-parts and created the name bracelet pictured here for my daughter. More challenging still, was that I reduced the scale to 80% to make it more appropriate for her 8-yr old wrist. The design held up - although the brim material definitely makes the links very stiff at first. A little flexing on each joint and the bracelet was flexible enough to wear.
|Still on the print bed. Notice the smiley link is "shadowed",|
meaning it got shifted during printing.
Notice in the picture while the links were still on the printer bed - the smiley emoticon got messed up during printing. Luckily I found a way to salvage the rest of that print job (fodder for another post for sure - adding to my little box of fails) - and simply reprinted just that one link (which took 6 minutes).
COMING SOON - I'll write a post about the link design, as i think it's useful and could be improved by others... and I'll post the alphabet of links so people can print their own bracelets!
|Here's the model of the bracelet links. You can see the link design.|